Six people using one bathroom means we need lots of storage, and thankfully this bathroom already has some built in. Just as you walk in the door there is a large cupboard and drawer unit built into the wall.
The inside is covered in great old beadboard that's been painted yellow. If I'm feeling really ambitious at some point I would like to paint the inside white to freshen everything up. Let's be honest - I'm barely getting to painting the parts of the house you can see. It's not likely I'm going to get to the parts of the house you can't see for some time. Yellow it stays.
The outside of the cabinet will definitely get painted once the bathroom has all the elements back in. I'm planning on painting all the trim as well as the cabinet white, but the paint is pretty worn and chipped in places. Not relishing the sanding and prepping I'm going to have to do. Also, there are three different types of knobs spread over the two doors and three drawers. I guess someone couldn't make up their mind. (I can't decide between these three......I'll just use them ALL!! Yes, good plan.)
The medicine cabinet over the sink had a ton of storage, but that's not going back in the bathroom. It looked like this:
with the straight Hollywood-dressing-room-style lights over it. Sorry for the angle - it's now lying on its back in the garage, awaiting a new owner. Know anyone who wants to buy it from us? Let's make a deal! That would be great. Because of the ceiling slant in the bathroom, we can't use any other style of lights if we still want to use the medicine cabinet mirror that opens. Since I want to change out the lights, we're going to have to use a flat mirror. Losing all that storage doesn't seem so bad since there is already so much built-in storage in the wall.
The plumber who will be coming to move the pipes and drain to the corner of the room is on vacation this week and won't start until next week. The kids bathed again in the wading pool in the backyard. We went to the zoo today for a much-needed break, but we all smelled a little like the flamingo enclosure. It will be nice when we once again have a usable bathroom with all of our hygiene tools in one place rather than spread all over the house, outside, or at grandparents' houses.
Thanks for taking the time to read this absolutely fascinating post about bathroom storage options. I know it was riveting.
No comments:
Post a Comment