Ladies and gentlemen, we have a ceiling! It's the simple things in life, really. Some like fancy cars, big vacations, nice restaurants. I settle for a ceiling.
While a lot of construction like this seems to involve lifting heavy stuff and swinging a hammer, there are some truly amazing things I've observed. See those two holes cut in the drywall? The square one will be for a newly installed vent fan, and the round one is for the overhead light fixture. My husband measures all over the place, then goes outside to the garage to cut those two holes. When the drywall goes up, those openings miraculously match where they are supposed to. He has pencil lines drawn all over the thing, using crazy math computations and a homemade compass to draw a perfect circle for the fixture. This might not amaze many people, but I would truly botch this. I would cut them backwards with the circle on the wrong side of the square, or they would be off by a couple of inches and I would have to figure out how to patch them awkwardly. This is why the job is not left up to me. Also, I get overwhelmed easily by complicated math. But that's another story.
Once again, that 90 degree turn on the staircase proves a challenge for getting those large sheets of drywall upstairs. My brother-in-law gave up a good part of his day to help.
Look at that! Pastor Malcolm holds up an entire sheet of drywall with only his fingertips! It's like his superpower.
My almost-sixth-grade son went to summer camp last week. When he left, there was a plaster ceiling in here. When he returned, the new ceiling was up. To him, there has been no progress while he was gone. It was like all work stopped. I think he is missing the nuance of ceiling material.
Next up - covering up the cavernous opening behind the toilet! That toilet was my Mother's Day gift last year. I'm easy to shop for.
No comments:
Post a Comment