Sunday, August 3, 2014

So much progress, so little time left

The bathroom looks so different than when this all started!  We still have so far to go to finish completely, but it's starting to look like a bathroom again.  We found out yesterday that Matt needs shoulder surgery within the next month.  The full recovery time on that is close to a year, so this suddenly feels urgent.  We wanted to be finished with the essentials before school started anyway, and that's about two weeks away.  

Matt has been busy installing the moisture-resistant drywall around the shower, and last night he installed the shower surround.  This was a much more difficult job than he expected, and by the time he realized he probably needed some help holding things in place it was too late.  Thankfully the kids were gone yesterday evening so they missed all the, um, excitement.





The shower surround comes covered in a blue plastic film, and we're leaving that on as long as possible to protect it from scratches.  The kids were quite confused by our choice of a blue shower, and I don't think they fully believe that it will actually be white when it's finished.

It's back to the tape and mud over the next couple of days, and then texture and paint.  Now that the partial wall is covered in drywall the bathroom looks more enclosed.  I can't start painting yet because Matt has more sanding to do and mud to apply, and I don't want the dust from the drywall mud to stick on a new paint job.  More waiting...


Our next big decision is flooring.  The one home improvement job Matt has done in the past that he swore he would never do again is lay sheet vinyl.  I think grouting tile is pretty high on the list now also, but that job might be coming again anyway.  When we were considering keeping the old tub, we were just going to paint over the red floor with a good, heavy-duty porch paint.  Many old houses have painted floorboards upstairs, so the look would work.  Now that we cut into the floor to move plumbing, we need more water protection.  Hiring someone to install flooring is expensive.  This might have to be a final step, where we wait awhile to save up for this.  Now that we're under a time crunch, we might have to have someone else do this step.  Other than spending the money, I'm sure Matt wouldn't mind passing this job off to someone else.

With all the heavy lifting, it's no wonder Matt needs surgery.  I told him not to worry about it.  I'll just finish up the bathroom.  I see no downsides to that plan, right?  What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment